Grapefruit Seed Extract for Treatment of Thrush
Grapefruit seed extract can also be used for treating Candida as well. It can be used directly on the nipples and/or orally. If used directly on the nipples, it should be diluted (5 to 15 drops, occasionally up to 25 drops, in 30 ml or 1 ounce of water), applied on the nipples with a Q-tip or cotton ball, allowed to dry, and then covered, sparingly, with the all purpose nipple ointment. By mouth, grapefruit seed extract can be taken as a pill, 250 mg three times a day.
Grapefruit seed extract (ACTIVE INGREDIENT MUST BE “CITRICIDAL”) should be used in conjunction with the All purpose nipple ointment. Apply the diluted liquid grapefruit seed extract on the nipples, and then follow with the ointment (always after the feeding).
Apply solution directly on the nipples. It does not need to be refrigerated. It may be covered and used until solution is finished.
- Mix very well five to 10 drops in 30 ml (1 ounce) of water (preferably, but not necessarily, distilled).
- Use cotton swab or Q-tip to apply on both nipples and areolas after the feeding.
- Let dry a few seconds, then apply “all purpose nipple ointment”.
- If using Gentian violet, do not use GSE on that particular feed but use after all other feeds.
- Should be used in conjunction with oral GSE, either tablets, capsules, or liquid extract (see above)
- Use until pain is gone and then wean down slowly over the period of at least a week.
- If pain is not significantly improving after two to three days, increase the dose by 5 drops per 30 ml (ounce) of water. Can continue increasing until 25 drops per 30 ml of water.
- If flaking, drying, or whiteness appears on the skin, substitute vitamin E oil or pure olive oil for APNO 1-3x/day.
- Laundry can be treated as well: add 15-20 drops in the rinse cycle of all wash loads
If not using Gentian Violet, it may be helpful to treat baby with acidophilus by rolling a wet finger in acidophilus powder (break open a capsule), and let baby suck on the finger right before a feeding. Use 2x first day, 2x second day only. Mother may want to ingest Acidophilus as well, 3x/day for 1-2 weeks.
Handout #3b. Treatments for Sore Nipples and Sore Breasts. January 2005.
Written by Jack Newman, MD, FRCPC © 2005.
This handout may be copied and distributed without further permission, on the condition that it is not used in any context in which the WHO code on the marketing of breastmilk substitutes is violated